Overtime!: Stanley Cup Final: Philadelphia Gets On The Board.
League of Legends Guide

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Stanley Cup Final: Philadelphia Gets On The Board.

Game Three of the 2010 Stanley Cup Final was presented Wednesday at the Wachovia centre in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Flyers could not afford to drop a third game in a row and gave their best effort in order to pull a victory from the Chicago Blackhawks.

This third game was without a doubt the most exciting of the series. Both teams took the lead at some point in the game and the suspense kept building on and on.

The Flyers opened the score during the first period when Daniel Briere beat goaltender Antti Niemi during a man advantage. Briere scored after receiving an awesome pass across the goal mouth from Scott Hartnell.

The Blackhawks tied the game at 1 early into the second period. Duncan Keith's shot from the blue line was deflected in front of Michael Leighton who did not have a clue on the play. Halfway into the second frame, Scott Hartnell deflected a shot from the blue line that barely came across the goal line. The video review was needed to award Philadelphia's second goal.

The Hawks tied the game once again only a couple of minutes before the end of the second period. Brent Sopel's powerful shot got past Leighton after a face off won by John Madden.

The third period was intense and this time the Hawks took the lead when Patrick Kane went alone on Leighton. A chance that Kane did not miss. But the Flyers tied the game at 3 only thirty seconds later. Ville Leino pounced on a rebound allowed by Niemi and tied the game up once again.

The game carried over in overtime and the Flyers needed to score twice to finally claim their first victory of the series.

After a deflected shot hitted the Hawks' goal post, a mad scramble in front of the Hawks net screened referee Bill McCreary momentarily. McCreary lost sight of the puck and blew his whistle. At the same time, a Philadelphia forward pushed the puck in the net but the referee disallowed the goal, disgusting most of the home team fans.

But the injustice was repaired only a couple of minutes later by Claude Giroux who deflected a shot in front of Antti Niemi to finally seal the Flyers' first win of the series.

Final score: Philadelphia Flyers 4 - Chicago Blackhawks 3 (overtime) (Chicago leads the series by 2-1.)

Game Four will be disputed tomorrow at the Wachovia centre in Philadelphia.

(Picture: Canadian Press.)



Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by FeedBurner

Free Website Counter
Shop NBC Coupon